I’m not a morning person. But being a flight attendant, I don’t really have a choice. Often my alarm goes off at 04.00 in the morning (to me this is the middle of the night but okay). I found out that there are some things you can do to make life a little bit easier and bearable in the morning. But I’ll be honest. Getting up this early with this job is something you’ll never get accustomed to. Don’t worry. You’re not alone 😉
- Take a hot shower. This is my number one rule. No hot shower in the morning and I am worthless the rest of the day. A shower will give you just a few minutes to wake up while enjoying the warm water. After a hot shower 5 minutes I already feel so much better. I brush my teeth in the shower to save a few minutes and it gives me a couple of more minutes under the warm water.
- Accept those 3 hours of sleep. The first day for me has always been a complete surrender. I often sleep only a few hours if I’m lucky. When getting to my hotel I make sure I don’t sleep in the afternoon. It is so tempting. But this will come at the expense of your sleep at night. Try to stay awake by staying busy. Go to the gym, have a drink with the crew, do some shopping and then have an early dinner. Make sure you keep busy and that you’re back in your room at least an hour before going to bed.
- Make sure your suitcase is packed and everything is ready! This saves time in the morning and that’s a few minutes extra beauty sleep. I pack my stuff when I’m back from dinner. My uniform is also ready to be worn. I just have to throw my toiletries in my suitcase and I’m good to go. And if you oversleep you’ll have everything ready.
- Ask for a wake-up call. Not everyone does this, because not everyone needs it. But I find it reassuring. You’ll never know.Your phone might die or you’ll turn off the alarm in your sleep. It’s my personal nightmare to be called by my colleagues that the taxi is there, but I am not. Better safe than sorry. And believe me. My wake-up call saved me one time! I set my alarm an hour before pick up and my wake-up call half an hour before pick up. Always good to have a back up plan.
- Put your iPhone on ‘do not disturb’. One of the hardest things to do for me, but deep in my heart I know it’s better. As a blogger with Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook accounts (and we’re not even talking about my personal accounts) I know exactly how social media can literally take over your life. And by doing so it will also take a huge part of your sleep. Also research has shown that the light from the screen causes your body to produce less melatonin. Which is the main hormone for a good nights rest. Two main reasons to put your phone on ‘do not disturb’ and put away. Reading an old fashioned book before in bed is much wiser.
- Put some music on in the morning. Once my alarm goes off I turn on the radio or Spotify. Listening to the radio or singing along with my favorite songs helps me to wake up.
- Coffee! Yes. I love a good cup of joe in the morning. Preferably black or a soy cappuccino. As soon as I come down for breakfast, I make sure I get a coffee to go for the ride to the airport.
- The sleep cycle app. This app detects the phases of your sleep. You’ll set your alarm within a specific time frame. The alarm will go off when you’re in the lightest phase of your sleep cycle. This is a lot friendlier than having the alarm going off when you’re still in a deep sleep. The app is for sale in the app store. The only downside is that your phone has to be charged during the night and not all hotel rooms are equipped with an outlet besides the bed. I personally did not notice a huge difference. But I know colleagues who have benefited by using this app. I still wanted to share it because it could be the invention of the century for you.
These are my 8 tips when having to wake up early. Hopefully it will make life a little easier in the morning. If you try them out, let me know what you think. And if you have any other tips, please share them in the comments below!
Wish you all a good weekend!